A Message from the Chair
The Department of Art offers a comprehensive, rigorous curriculum in Art Education, Art History, and Studio Art and is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). Our new Graphic Design focus within the BFA degree offers exciting opportunities. Our department is part of the College of the Arts on the dynamic RiverPark Campus in the historic riverfront area. Our students participate in a robust array of courses, exhibitions, workshops and lectures in state-of-the-art facilities. Our unique Visiting Artist and Scholar Residency Program provide residencies to diverse, outstanding studio artists, art historians, art critics, and curators. Our residents lead workshops or teach special courses related to their disciplines, as well as giving public lectures on their work. Our students benefit from the synergy between our faculty, community, resident artists and scholars, and a multitude of performance, visual art, music, and lecture presentations annually offered within the College of the Arts.
Our vision is to become a highly selective and respected learning environment with a reputation of excellence in art, design and scholarship dedicated to creating future generations of cultural leaders. We also aim to contribute to the cultural development and vitality of Columbus; to nurture a community of scholars, artists and educators who will cultivate adaptability, creativity, diversity and imagination.
Arrange a Customized Tour
We provide tours of our outstanding facilities in close collaboration with enrollment services. Contact Christopher Whittey at email@example.com if you would like to schedule a department-focused tour, or have general questions.
Incoming Freshman & Transfer Scholarships
We regularly offer an array of competitive scholarships to incoming students including our top award, the Friends of Art: Funding Future Artists Scholarship which awards up to $10,000 for the first year of study. Please be aware of the deadlines and note that the deadlines may change from year to year.
Apply for an Incoming Student Scholarship
Scholarship applications can be completed by visiting our CSU Department of Art Scholarship Application
Prospective Student FAQs
Only the BFA program requires a portfolio. You receive a link for portfolio submission after acceptance to CSU.
Yes, Graphic Design and Animation are offered as BFA areas of emphases.
Contact our Administrative Assistant, Ria Stringfellow, if you would like to schedule a department-focused tour
Our Profile at a Glance:
- Generous scholarships such as the Friends of Art: Funding Future Artists Scholarship
- Among the finest arts facilities in the United States
- Visiting Artists and Scholars Residency Program hosts national and international art professionals
- A regular cycle of outstanding events including exhibitions, lectures, films, and workshops
- Comprehensive degree offerings in Art, Art Education and Art History
- Individual studios provided to undergraduate Thesis Exhibition students
- Smooth transition and scholarship opportunities for transfer students
- Freshman Learning Communities that accelerate student success
- Internship opportunities that build experience and leadership skills
- Small classes with nationally and internationally recognized faculty
- Advanced Placement (AP) credit offered in selected courses
- An Honors College supports academic excellence
- SRACE undergraduate grant opportunities support student research and creative activity
- Travel scholarships and grants support study abroad and global understanding
- Certificate opportunities provided in Visual Communication and the Georgia Film Academy
Our degree, minor and certificate descriptions may be found in the Academic Catalog
View our growing list of Course Descriptions
Visit the CSU Honors College